Chief Corporate Affairs Officer
Reports to: CEO
- Head of Governance, Risk & Compliance
- Head Of Health, Safety, Security and Environment
- Head of Legal
- Head of Cybersecurity
To direct and control the GRC, HSSE, Legal and Cyber Security functions promoting high standards of control and providing legal advice to the company and ensuring the development, implementation and management of control measures, framework, standards, and competence levels through effective strategies, systems, and programs.
- Assist the CEO in the formulation and implementation of the company’s overall control measures and strategies to enable the achievement of the company’s vision, mission, and business objectives.
Budgets and Financial Plans
- Consolidate departmental budgets, recommend the Corporate Affairs budget, approve financial plans, and monitor financial performance versus the budget so that the CEO is aware of anticipated costs.
People Management and Organization Structure
- Manage the achievement of the Corporate Affairs Business Unit objectives through effective leadership while also setting individual objectives for subordinates, managing their performance, and developing and motivating them to maximize the subordinates’ and the department’s overall performance .
- Identify and recommend any necessary changes that need to be made to the Business Unit structure due to new/ changing business/ market needs in a manner that ensures that resources are optimally utilized and communication takes place in an efficient manner.
Governance, Risk and Compliance
- Supports the executive team and board to design, implement and support the highest quality governance.
- Lead the development of a robust enterprise-wide risk management program for the company by establishing a framework, reviewing policies, designing a governance structure which ensures an independent oversight.
- Formulate and lead the implementation of the risk management strategy in line with the company’s vision, mission and corporate objectives.
- Ensure that the strategy is translated into annual operational business plans for risk management and the performance is monitored in line with the overall strategy.
- Direct the interpretation of requirements in order to develop a compliant risk management framework and ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Direct the organization’s annual disclosure to ensure consistency with applicable laws and regulations, particularly as stipulated by regulatory authorities.
- Direct, plan and lead the implementation of regulatory compliance, corporate governance and guidelines laid down by regulatory authorities.
Health, Safety, Security and Environment
- Lead safety and acts as the principal safety advisor to CEO and senior management, providing guidance and directions to all corporate divisions, to pro-actively implement, practice and adhere to Company’s ’s core safety functions, systems, values and code of conduct.
- Review accidents/incidents and investigation reports, evaluates compliance with procedures and ensures follow-up on implementation of remedial action to ensure appropriate measures are taken to prevent recurrences.
- Provide oversight of the safety programs and initiatives to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of Safety Management System.
- Oversee performance levels in the regard of environmental protection for all the Company’s related facilities and projects to ensure set HSSE policies & procedures are being adhered to, and a safe and healthy environment is sustained.
- Lead the development of all security policies, procedures and systems pertaining to different aspects of Security (Operations Security, Investigation & Loss Control, Advisory & Compliance) in line with the Company’s industry to ensure the highest security standards are upheld and the quality of performance is maintained at a high level of competence.
- Lead and direct the provision of sound legal advice and recommendations to aid the board, the CEO and the senior management team with the decision-making process to promote the legal interests of the company by instituting appropriate legal measures and guarding against potential liability
- Provide legal advice on corporate compliance with relevant statutory or other governmental rules and regulations in addition to applicable judicial requirements to promote and protect the companies interests .
- Provide legal advice on formulating and reviewing contractual negotiation and documentation; and support higher Management in the resolution of contractual issues/disputes to secure the companies best interests.
- Oversee the management of various litigation and dispute settlement activities and lead legal negotiations in order ensure a positive outcome for the company, where possible .
- Ensure that the companies rights vis-à-vis third parties are adequately protected and direct the initiation or participation in litigation or court process where necessary or advisable .
- Ensure the use of proper communication and negotiation techniques to avoid litigation where possible and achieve out of court settlements favoring the company.
- Monitor and report on compliance with cybersecurity policies, as well as the enforcement of policies.
- Drive forward the cybersecurity mandate with internal, external, regulatory stakeholders to develop and execute a cybersecurity strategy.
- Lead and coordinate operational components of threat and cyber-attack management, including detection, response, and reporting.
- Lead security projects and provide expert guidance on security matters for other IT projects.
- Oversee security testing procedures to verify the security of systems, networks and applications, and manage the remediation of identified risks.
Change Management and Continuous Improvement
- Manage change and ensure that the necessary change management action plans are being properly implemented by the subordinates to cater for changing dynamics (whether internal or external) and assist employees in any transformation needed.
- Lead and direct the continuous improvement of systems, processes, and practices within the shared services department while taking into account international best practice, changes in international standards, and any changes in the business environment which demand proactive action plans.
- Ensure that all reports of the Corporate Affairs are prepared timely and accurately and meet the company’s requirements, policies, and standards .
- Prepare and review certain management reports related to the corporate affairs and update the CEO on all related activities in order to support the CEO’s decision-making process .
Health, Safety & Environment
- Ensure compliance to all relevant health, safety and environmental management policies, procedures and controls across the shared services department in order to guarantee employee safety, legislative compliance, delivery of high-quality service and a responsible environmental attitude.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Management or related.
- Preferably Master’s degree in a related area.
- 18 – 20 years’ experience in (GRC, HSSE, Legal, Cybersecurity etc.)
- 5 years’ experience in management of a Business Services function in a large organization.